Don’t know how to sharpen a chainsaw? and looking for a solution? Then this article will help you out to sharpen a chainsaw like a pro and make a chainsaw cut faster. Sharp chainsaw tooth plays a vital role in cutting heavy objects like trees.
In contrast, dull chainsaws will not work correctly. Sometimes it can be harmful or dangerous. If you are working in firewood, forestry or doing pruning and trimming of trees.
Then here are some chainsaw sharpening tricks to sharpen a chainsaw chain. Before going into guide we recommend you to also visit other chainsaw’s guide so you can get basic knowledge about product e.g. chainsaw size and how we can use pole saws.
Now, let’s get started.
For sharpening a chain-saw following chainsaw sharpening tools are required:
- Protective eyewear
- Chainsaw Filing Kit (Round File, File Guide)
- Flat File and Depth Gauge Measuring Tool
Prerequisites before getting into sharpen the chain:
You need to do some precautionary chainsaw sharpening service or steps before actually sharpening the chainsaw. These steps will make the task much easier and safer.
- You need to know the type of chain and angle specifications if you have chainsaw sharpening angle chart then you can consult that chart.
- You must have proper chainsaw sharpening kit; like protective gear, gloves, and eyewear.
- Make sure the chain is tensioned correctly.
- Make sure your chainsaw is off before performing any maintenance.
- Swab oil and grease off the chain.
- Inspect the chain.
- If the chain is damaged, repair or replace it. You can check how to put chains on chainsaws if you need any help here.
- Check and adjust depth gauges.
- Sharpen your Chainsaw according to recommendations you can also take help from best chainsaw sharpener.
How to Sharpen a Chainsaw (Step-by-step):
Here’s the best way to sharpen a Chainsaw using a file guide. We will divide our task into two parts: Setting the file and sharpening the chain. The following are the techniques to sharpen a chainsaw:
Part 1: Setting the File
Step-1 Clamp the bar of Chainsaw
Clamp the bar of the Chainsaw at your suitable level.
Step-2 Tighten the Chain
Clip the chain in the middle of the vice, not in the edges of the vise. Tightly climb the chain in the vise.
Step-3 Mark the teeth
Mark teeth with any marker to find a starting and ending point.
Step-4 Select the round file according to Chainsaw’s teeth
The diameter of the edges is different from each other but is typically 3/16-inch, 5/32-inch, or 7/32-inch. Use the same diameter round file to sharpen these curved cutting edges.
Step-5 Set your file on the front of the cutter
Place the file inside the mark of the tooth so that the file’s diameter is above the tooth.
Step-6 Use File holder
Use file holder to hold the file at the same level
Part 2: Sharpening a Chainsaw Tooth
Step-1 Pass the file:
- In one smooth motion, push the file through the cutter and lift it out
- Reset it into the same angle and same place
- You shouldn’t need to apply much pressure
Step-2 File the edge until it is sharp
- Pass your file on the right side of the tooth. Move this file into the tooth in a forward and backward direction.
- Seize the chain until the next tooth points towards us.
Step-3 Sharp the teeth from the starting point
- Now again, take the file, and then move it into the tooth.
- Make the same number of passes as you did in the first tooth.
- Follow this pattern around the whole side of the chain.
Step-4 Rotate the Chainsaw:
- Flip the saw after completing the one side.
- Tightly climb the other side of a chainsaw in the vise.
- Put your file on the right side of the tooth. Pass this file into the tooth in a forward and backward direction.
- Repeat this method until the chain gets sharped.
After sharpening a Chainsaw:
- Check and adjust depth gauges using instructions.
- Lubricate the chain thoroughly with bar and chain oil. Soak the chain overnight for the best result.
- Keep the sharpened saw chain in a container with lubricant so that it’s ready for its next use.
Note: This article is only a guide for chainsaw sharpening. For a complete guide including how we can avoid common mistakes regarding sharpening;
you must read Chainsaw Sharpening Mistakes.
We hope you are now able to sharp a chainsaw like a pro. Chainsaw safety is necessary while working with it. For secure sharpening please follow all the precautions mentioned above. By succeeding in all the steps, you can sharpen a chainsaw easily.
There is much more to cover to become a pro in chainsaw blade sharpening. Here we only discuss to sharpen a chainsaw with a file. But there are many chainsaw sharpeners available in the market. Moreover, to work with them you can visit sharpen a chainsaw with a grinder, sharp a chainsaw with electric chain saw sharpener or trimmers etc. If this article helped you, or you want to give any suggestions, please drop a comment down below.